Andreas Huck, M.Sc.
Section Urban Planning, Subject Area Spatial and Infrustructure Planning
Critical Infrastructures, Urban Resilience, Urban Governance
Addressing urban governance challenges of infrastructure resilience
Approaching urban and infrastructure resilience requires flexible and adaptive governance structures in cities in order to deal with issues of complexity and uncertainty as well as to join different epistemic communities. My PhD project analyses institutional design and capacity building in the interface of infrastructure management and urban development in the cities of Rotterdam (NL) and Christchurch (NZ). Using a governance perspective, I analyse how utilities are involved in resilience building processes from strategy formation to implementation. The findings of the study should contribute to a better understanding of conflicts and potentials that urban resilience poses to infrastructure management and vice versa.
Academic Education & Professional Training
|MSc (2013)||Research Master in Regional Studies: Spaces and Places, Analysis and Intervention, University of Groningen, The Netherlands|
|BSc (2010)||Raumplanung, Technische Universität Kaiserslautern, Germany|
- GUF-100 award (Student of the Year Faculty of Spatial Sciences)
- Canadian Studies – ACSN Student Research Award
- ICURD-NEURUS Scholarship
- GUF (Groningen University Fund) – excellent student scholarship
- Student scholarship (RUG Centre for Canadian Studies)
Talks & Workshops
- “A Battle for the Soul of Canada: The Northern Gateway Proposal and BC's Coastal First Nations”. Fourth International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Emotional Geographies 2012, Groningen, NL.
- “Competencies for managing sustainability transitions: an analysis of the exploratory process on setting up standards for professional certification”. Governance of a Complex World 2016, Valencia, ESP.
- “Urban Resilience and Critical Infrastructures: Challenges for Urban Governance”. Poster Presentation. Resilient Cities 2017, Bonn, GER.
- “Resilient Cities and Infrastructures: How do we know what we know?” Towards Resilient Cities Conference 2017, Barcelona, ESP.
- “Epistemic cultures of urban and critical infrastructure resilience”. Lancaster Summer Conference 2017, Lancester , GB:
- “Capacity building and urban governance: challenges of infrastructure resilience in Rotterdam”. DoKoNaRa 2017, Hofgeismar, GER.
Huck, A. (2016) Perceptions, Emotions and Conflict Resolution: The Northern Gateway Case in British Columbia, Canada, in: J. den Toonder, K. van Dam and F. van der Stok (Eds.) Native America, pp. 73–90. Frankfurt am Main, Bern, Bruxelles, New York, Oxford, Warszawa, Wien: Peter Lang.